The Park, 2003

The Park Bandstand and the hut where boat hire can be arranged. Boats first appeared on the lake in Queen Victoria’s Jubilee year in 1887, when Isaac Thomas of Seymour Street was given permission to do so by the Aberdare Board of Health. Isaac was a carpenter at Bwllfa Colliery in the period 1860-1890. In addition to his work at the colliery he was also a well known undertaker, and he also provided many of the crates used by emigrants to pack their belongings for their journeys to the New World. Subsequent to his introduction of boats on the lake, he was known to some as “The Admiral.”

In the background are Glandare and the Graig Mountain.


The Gorsedd Circle looking north. As primary children we may have attended the Proclamation that took place there in 1955, as well as the Eisteddfod Genedlaethol Cymru in 1956.

The Gorsedd