Some views of the site of the former railway at Abernant, 2003
All that is left of the Abernant railway station that was situated at the
top of Abernant Road. This photo is taken looking down the valley towards Cwmbach. Click
here for a picture of this station taken from a similar angle in 1962 (from
the RCT Libraries Photo Archive).
The railway ran from Neath to Merthyr via Hirwaun, Llwydcoed and Abernant.
It was fully opened in 1853 when the tunnel at Cwmbach was finally completed,
if not safe! Click
here for a picture of this tunnel in the RCT Libraries Photo Archive. The
railway was initially part of the broad gauge Vale of Neath Line (1851), but
was later absorbed by the GWR, (1863-86).
The route of the railway going towards Hirwaun from Abernant is marked
by the large white gate just left of centre. On the right is the Rhoswenallt
Inn, another welcome stop on a hot day!