Aberdare Boys’ Grammar School
from School Records
This photograph shows the elevation of the school building which
faces towards the Gadlys and the town of Aberdare. The camera is situated on the
lawn of School House, a large dwelling, not shown here, that had been used by the
first two headmasters and their families for accommodation up until 1937. The third
headmaster, W. Rees Williams, appointed 1937, chose to remain in his own house at the
top of Broniestyn Terrace.
At the bottom left of this photograph a tennis net can be seen, and in the bottom right corner on the original larger photograph, it is possible to make out a high net placed in front of the paling fence to keep the tennis balls on the court.
Thirty years earlier this area had also been laid out as a croquet
lawn for the female pupils.
assembly and dining hall was built on School House lawn in 1960, but after further
rebuilds Ty Ni now occupies the site, (2015).