badge

Aberdare Boys’ Grammar School

Published Examination Results

school building

CWB School Certificate Results, 1916

CENTRAL WELSH BOARD RESULTS

ABERDARE COUNTY (BOYS’)
SCHOOL.

Honours Certificate.—Evan George Davies, English Language and Literature, with distinction; French; Additional Mathematics. John David Powell, English Language and Literature; Welsh; Additional Mathematics.

Commercial Certificate.—Leslie Newing Collette.

Senior Certificate.—Trevor John Bayton, William Ewart Bonfield, Cecil Raymond Escott, Thos. Picton Evans, Edgar Jones, Idris Jones, William Roderick, Haydn Rees Stubbins, Dd. Leyshon Williams.

Supplementary Certificate. — Idwal Rees.

Junior Certificate.—David Richard Davies, Daniel Trevor Edwards, Felix James Eschle, David John Evans, Jeffrey David Evans, William John Evans (I.), William John Evans (II.), John Hughes, Haydn James Isaac, Daniel John, Idris Jones, John Jacob Jones, Vivian Mears, James Peters, Griffith Quick, Gwilym David Rees, William Thomas.

 

 

ABERDARE COUNTY (GIRLS’)
SCHOOL

Senior Certificate.—Dorothy Tegwen Bond, Mary Annie Boxhall, Gladys Evans, Sarah James, Eleanor Jones, Muriel Gwendoline Kerswell, Annie Mary Lewis, Elizabeth Catherine Lewis, Sarah Maud Nicholas, Margaret Ellen Oliver, Blanchette Thomas, Esther Agnes Williams, Martha Olwen Williams.

Supplementary Certificates.—Gladys Richards.

Junior Certificates.—Beatrice Maud Davies, Naomi Elina Davies, Cecily Mary Eschle, Bronwen Evans, Catherine Mary Evans, Edith Olwen Evans, Elizabeth Jane Evans, Sarah Evans, Dorothy Margaret Fletcher, Annie Barbara Harris, Mabel Irene James, Ceridwen Jenkins, Sadie May Jenkins, Gladys Mary Jones, Alvine Rowena Morris, Winifred Evelyn Probert, Muriel Irene Shewell, Elsie Margaret Venables, Gladys Williams, Jane Ann Williams.

The Certificates: The Central Welsh Board, CWB, set its first examinations in 1897, and awarded its first certificates in 1899.

The Honours Stage Certificate was awarded after passing the most advanced of the CWB examinations taken by pupils aged 18 or 19 years.

The Higher Stage Certificate, not mentioned above, was taken around 18 years of age.

The Senior Certificate was taken at around 16 years, and the Junior Certificate at around 14 years, about two years after entry to the school at age 12.


The Honours Stage was phased out in 1917.

The Higher Stage Certificate remained much the same until 1951 but was renamed Higher School Certificate in 1921.

The Senior Stage Certificate became the School Certificate in 1919.

The Junior Stage Certificate was phased out after the 1921 examination.

The Supplementary Stage was taken at the end of the first year in the sixth form, but unlike the other stages could be taken in separate subjects.


The Commercial Certificate, and another certificate called The Technical Certificate did not attract many candidates, and both were withdrawn after the 1923 examination.

Notes

Evan George Davies of Cledwyn Gardens, Trecynon was a successful passer of examinations: Junior Cert 1913, Senior Cert 1914, Higher Cert & London Matric 1915, and Honours Cert 1916. He won a Glamorgan County Council Studentship and went to U.C. Cardiff.

John David Powell of Maesgwyn Terrace, Cwmdare had an almost identical academic record to Evan: Junior Cert 1913, Senior Cert 1914, Higher Cert & London Matric 1915, and Honours Cert 1916. He left school to become an uncertificated teacher but joined the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve in 1917.

Leslie Collette left school and initially took up a post as a clerk in the Education Office

Trevor Bayton was the son of a manager at Trecynon’s Tin [plating] Works, which was situated next to the railway line at the bottom of Meirion Street.

William Ewart Bonfield probably William Ernest Bonfield from Merthyr Tydfil. Initially became an apprenticed electrical engineer but joined the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve in 1918.

Cecil Raymond Escott initially became a student teacher. His younger brother Percy taught at The Town Council (Caradog) School.

Tom Picton Evans, was from Trecynon and left school initially to become an uncertificated teacher. Eventually he was employed by the Education Department in Swansea. In Trecynon, he was a deacon and precentor at Noddfa Welsh Baptist Chapel, Ebenezer Street. He married Maudie Evans of Fforchaman Street, Cwmaman.

Edgar Jones of Victoria Road, Cwmbach became a student teacher, but was later reported as a casualty in the First World War. He died aged nineteen on 26/10/1918.

Idris Jones of Penderyn attended U.C. Cardiff after leaving school. He gained a first class honours degree.

William Roderick from Clifton Street was one of the sons of Thomas Roderick the Aberdare architect.

Haydn Rees Stubbins joined H.M. Forces in 1917, his brother Tom who attended the school, 1908-11, was a war casualty and was killed in 1918 in Greece aged 25. Tom was in the Welsh Regiment.

David Leyshon Williams was the son of the accountant and auditor Thomas David Williams of Broniestyn Terrace.

Idwal Rees was from Cwmaman, and attended Training College at Caerleon. After many years teaching at the Ynysllwyd School he was appointed in 1949 the first headmaster at the Welsh School, then situated in Cwmdare.

David Richard Davies (1900-1988) was brought up in Primrose Villas, Llwydcoed and also lived in the village later in his life in Church Avenue. He was a teacher at Gadlys Boys Secondary School and later was appointed headmaster at Llwydcoed County Primary School. However, he was best known for his interests in drama and writing. As well as his literary writings he also wrote extensively for the Aberdare Leader, he was also a drama critic for the Western Mail and the Daily Mail. He was the South Wales Literary & Dramatic Representative for the Daily Express and a life-long member of the Cymmrodorion.

Felix James Eschle was one of the children of Leonard Edgar & Katherine Ellen Eschle, Jewellers of 13 Victoria Square.

Haydn James Isaac of Bwllfa Road, Cwmdare left in 1918 for U.C. Cardiff, but later in the same year he had joined H.M. Forces.

Vivian Mears came from Hirwaun, where his father William Jenkin Mears was a schoolmaster.

Griffith Quick (1900-1980) was brought up in Cwmaman where he attended Soar (C.M.) Chapel. Throughout his life Griffith’s strong religious conviction played a guiding light in all he did. He served in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve in World War 1 after which, upon returning to college, he graduated in Physics from UCW, Aberystwyth in 1923. He was ordained as a minister at Above Bar Congregational Church, Southampton in 1939. For many years he did missionary work in Africa, particularly at the Mbereshi Boarding School for Boys in Rhodesia, (now in Zambia). He taught briefly at the Boys’ County School (1948), and eventually filled the post of minister at Rhyddings Congregational Church, Uplands, Swansea. In 1947 he successfully submitted a dissertation in Social Anthropology and was awarded an M.Sc.  Griffith officiated at the ceremony in the old school hall when the WW2 Memorial Plaque was unveiled in 1948, and it was he who dedicated the Memorial Lectern. In the late 1950s he was communicating with Cecil B DeMille about the film The Ten Commandments, and there were plans for the two to meet in the USA. However, DeMille became ill and died, in 1959, before the meeting could take place. (Griffith Quick appears in the 1948 School Photograph, where he is No. 38.)
Griffith’s sister Dilys Quick (1916-2003) also taught at the Boys’ County School, (Geology & Geography 1940-42), but ended her career teaching at the Swansea Training College.

Gwilym David Rees lived in Gorof House, Hirwaun. His father John Rees Morgan was a cashier.
 

Muriel Gwendoline Kerswell’s family came from Ilfracombe. They lived in Aberaman and her father was a bread baker who worked for the Co-operative Society.

Blanchette Thomas: (1899-1981) was the daughter of memorial mason Daniel Thomas and his wife Sarah of Parcolwg, Trecynon. Blanche later qualified as a doctor and became Deputy Medical Officer of Health in Aberdare. She married County School master Peter Edward Phillips (PEP) in 1938. Blanche and PEP were at the Trecynon school: Blanche 1912 until transfer to Plasdraw in 1913, and PEP, who was younger than his future wife, 1915 to 1920.

Cecily Mary Eschle: was another of the children of Leonard Edgar & Katherine Ellen Eschle, Jewellers of 13 Victoria Square. Cecily started secondary school at the Trecynon building in 1912 but transferred to Plasdraw when the new Girls’ School opened in 1913.

Jane Ann Williams lived in the manse in Brynawelon, Abernant. Her father was the Baptist Minister Rev. Ben Williams. She became a teacher in Cwmbach County Primary School. Her brother, John Edward Williams, was the headteacher of Aman Junior School.

Document images reproduced with permission of Rhondda Cynon Tâf Library Service