Aberdare Boys’ Grammar School
Published Examination Results
CWB Examination Results, 1912
Transcript from The Aberdarian 1912
Aberdare Intermediate School.
Honours Certificate.—Aneurin Rhydderch.
Higher Certificate.—Austin Mansel Lewis and Amy Minty.
Senior Certificate.—Henry Edward Allen, Dorothy Ellen Baigent, Gordon William Chapman, Elizabeth Jane Davies, William Rees Davies, Agnes Muriel Erskine, Annie Amelia Evans, Emrys Evans, Harriet Henry, Richard Donald John, Herbert Charles Oxenham, Jane Price, Sarah Jane Rees, Mary Roderick, Sidney Montague Silverman, Gladys Ann Smith, Garfield Thomas, David Archibald Vaughan, Catherine Walker, David Philip Williams, Sadie Margaret Williams.
Junior Certificate.—Elizabeth Dorothy Berry, Ernest Ivor Bowyer, Arthur Glyn Davies, Benjamin Davies, John Davies, John Morgan Davies, Margaret Eleanor Davies, William John Davies, Bronwen Evans, Clifford Orlando Evans, Margaret Rose Evans, Gwen Eynon, Frank Jefferies, Cledwyn Afan Jenkins, Sophia Jenkins, Rachel Ellen Jones, Alice Maud King, Isaac James Lewis, Thomas Roy Harris Lewis, William Edmund Minty, Edith Morgan, Maria Morgan, David Sidney Nicholas, Katherine Notton, David Archibald Phillips, Glynelen Protheroe, Albert Thomas Rees, Bernhard Guy Runge, Edith Veronica Tay, Edgar Vivers Teague, Elizabeth Jane Thomas, Hopkin Rees Walters, Margaret Watts, David Williams, Jennet Mary Williams.
The Central Welsh Board, CWB, set its first examinations in 1897, and awarded its first certificates in 1899.
The Honours Stage Certificate was awarded after passing the most advanced of the CWB examinations taken by pupils aged 18 or 19 years. This stage was phased out in 1917.
The Higher Stage Certificate was taken around 18 years of age. This stage remained much the same until 1951 but was renamed Higher School Certificate in 1921.
The Senior Certificate was taken at around 16 years. The Senior Stage Certificate became the School Certificate in 1919.
The Junior Certificate was awarded at around 14 years, about two years after entry to the school at age 12. This stage was phased out after the 1921 examination.
Aneurin Rhydderch lived with his uncle and aunt in Abercwmboi. His uncle was the Rev. G.L. Davies a Congregational Minister. The family moved to Dronfield, near Chesterfield in 1912. After surviving the War, which Aneurin left as a temporary Lieutenant, he married Lilian Pritchard in 1917 at Chester. They had two children born in Derbyshire, but the family emigrated to Australia in the inter-war period.
Austin Mansel Lewis: from Broniestyn Terrace was the son of the school caretaker. He proceeded to Cardiff University College.
Amy Violet Minty after a further year at the new Girls’ Intermediate School in Plasdraw, proceeded to Cardiff University College in 1913, with a Glamorgan C.C. Exhibition.
Harry Edward Allen, after two more years at the school left with a County Scholarship to Cardiff University College. He was the son of the confectioner F.J. Allen. The family lived at 25 Abernant Road.
Both Herbert Charles Oxenham and Gordon William
Chapman both won County Commercial Exhibitions and proceeded to The University
of Birmingham. (There was a long lasting tradition of progression from the school to
the Commerce Department at Birmingham. Three pupils later to become professors, Ray
Elliott Thomas, David C. Marsh and Tom Kelly all followed this path shortly afterwards.)
The Oxenhams were from a well known family of plumbers who traded in the town for many years.
Richard Donald John became the sports master at the Gadlys School, the secretary of the Aberdare Schools football league and effectively team manager of Aberdare Schoolboys football team.
Mary Roderick was one of the many children of the Aberdare architect Thomas Roderick of Clifton Street. Roderick’s buildings include Carmel (Bryn Sion) Chapel, Trecynon, (the 1899 rebuild), and, Gadlys Higher Standard School, 1907, (also known as Gadlys Central School, and until 2014, Aberdare Girls Lower Comprehensive School).
Elizabeth Dorothy Berry was the daughter of Councillor, Fire Captain and photographer, Richard Lewis Berry. The family lived above the Globe Studio at 47 Commercial Street at this time.
David Sidney Nicholas known as Dai Nicholas (1897–1982) of Meirion Street, Trecynon, attended the school from 1909 until 1914, and was a student teacher in his final year. In 1912 he was capped by Wales at schoolboy level. He served in the Royal Navy in World War 1 and then, from 1920 until 1930, he was a professional footballer making 52, 56 and 166 appearances for Merthyr Town, Stoke City and Swansea Town respectively. After his playing days, he trained to be a teacher at Carmarthen, and eventually became Head teacher of Cwmaman Junior School where he stayed until his retirement.
Katherine Notton: several Nottons passed through the school. Their father was a schoolmaster William Notton who lived in Brondeg Terrace. His son Frank G. Notton, who was at the school 1906-12, was a casualty in WW1. Frank passed his Board of Education Preliminary Certificate, Part 2 in April 1912 but does not appear in the CWB list. Until he was called up for war service, he was an uncertificated schoolteacher.
Bernhard Guy Runge was the son of Bernhard Runge the watch and clockmaker in Cardiff Street. Guy eventually lived in Brynawel, and taught chemistry at the Gadlys School. Guy can be seen in the photograph of the 1915 production of Henry V.
Edgar Vivers Teague was brought up at 3 Jenkin Street, Foundry Town, the son of Mary Alice Teague and Edgar Charles Teague (1852-1927), GWR stationmaster (later the High Level station, and the current, (2014), Aberdare Railway Station). Sergeant Edgar Vivers Teague died of wounds 27th October 1918, at the age of 21. He gained the Croix de Guerre and served in 12th Bn., Durham Light Infantry. His grave is in The Giavera British Cemetery, Arcade, Italy, and his headstone can be seen on the The War Graves Photographic Project.
Hopkin Rees Walters, (1895-1967), became a long-serving member of staff at Aman Secondary School, Godreaman - retiring in the 1950s.
Margaret Watts became a schoolteacher at Abernant School, and lived in Park Grove, Trecynon. She was the sister-in-law of Mrs Catherine Ellen Watts, who taught biology at Aberdare Girls Grammar School.