badge

Aberdare Boys’ Grammar School

Memories Memorabilia

Old School

Lower School Class
Form 2, 1926-27

Class in the 1920s

This photograph is thought to have been taken in the academic year 1926-27. The photo belonged to Idwal Davies who is in the third row sitting in the end desk on the right. We do not know the names of the other boys nor are we certain of the name of the teacher.

Idwal Thomas Davies attended The Town Council School in Clifton Street prior to entering the County School in September 1925. He lived at 34 Ynyslwyd St., in Foundry Town. He passed the photo to his niece, Mrs Judith Rist, (née Davies, then of Cwmbach). Mrs Rist has now donated this picture to the Cynon Valley Museum & Gallery, Gadlys, Aberdare.

We are most grateful to the museum staff for digitising the photograph for us.

The location of the classroom is a puzzle, but it may be Room 9, with light from the upper playground coming in through three windows, out of sight on the right. The single rear window just shows the arch of the 1896 Boys Entrance. Both window and the arch can be seen in the short 1996 video of the school in the School Buildings Section of this website - 1 minute in to the video.

Any further information about this photograph would be most welcome. If you can help, please e-mail the editor - address on home page.