Just visible on the road a motor van behind a horse and cart. Possibly a postman on the right, and a man with a wheelbarrow in the foreground. In the background is Park School (Ysgol y Comin), and Broniestyn House (29 Hirwaun Road) occupied at that time by the Rev Rees Jenkin Jones (Unitarian), whose son Evan John Goronwy Jones entered the sixth form of the school in 1897.
Goronwy Jones, (1881-1945), became a temporary lieutenant in the Royal Army Medical Corps. during the First World War, by which time he had acquired the M.D. qualification. He later settled in Swansea where he lived in Mackworth Villa, in the St. Thomas area of the town. His aunt Miss Jennie Griffiths (The Poplars, High Street, Aberdare) was a founding member of staff at the school where she taught French.