badge

Aberdare Boys’ Grammar School

Past Student Association History

Old School

Past Student Society
Notice of Annual Meeting, 1911

from Victor Carney (ABGS 1945 - 1953)

PSA Committee

 

PSA Committee

In amongst these names you will find some staff members: W.C. Cox, the headmaster; J.E. Sladen and W.R. Williams (Maths & Science) and possibly others.

The Heppells were three of the five members of that family to have been pupils at the school. Their father was W.J. Heppell a colliery manager/agent of Fforchneol House, Cwmaman.

D.O. Roberts was the man who later became headmaster at Gadlys Boys Central School, and father of the dentist Dafydd Roberts of Broniestyn Terrace. As a boy he entered the County School in 1901 and left in his sixteenth year in 1904. At he time of entering the school his family lived in Llwydcoed, but he lived for most of his youth and early adulthood in Cwmdare. In later life David Owen Roberts played a leading role in bringing the National Eisteddfod of Wales to Aberdare in 1956.

The Masters boys came from the Bailey Arms in Miskin; however both boys were amongst the school’s First World War casualties.

Nellie Prance was the daughter of Richard Prance the owner of the popular millinery and linen shop of Prance Williams next to Lloyds Bank in Canon Street.

The Shipton girls travelled to school from Penrhiwceiber, there being no Mountain Ash County School when they commenced their secondary school education.

The secretary Ivy Lea, and her sister Enid, were the daughters of Alfred Lea the Jeweller and Watchmaker of 18 Commercial Street.

The other secretary, Trevor Jones, probably lived at the Cowbridge Arms, Market St Aberdare.

The Vice President, Mrs Mildred Shingler (née Pratt) came from Fox Street in Mountain Ash. Her sister Irene is listed on one of the early Honours Boards.