badge

Aberdare Boys’ Grammar School

Past Student Association History

Old School

A brief newspaper report of the Past Students’ Society 1910 Reunion
(later the Past Students’ Association)

from The Aberdare Leader, 8 January 1910
 

County School Re-union.
The annual re-union of the Past Students of the Aberdare County School took place on Thursday evening, and was a great success. There were over 70 guests present. Mr Tom Edmunds, Mountain Ash, was re-appointed president of the Society for the year, and Miss Ivy Lea and Mr Trevor Jones were appointed secretaries. An effort is to be made to re-organise the Society and make it more utilitarian. At the whist drive on this night Mr W. Heppell was the steward. The prizes were handed over by Mrs A. J. Phillips, Gorsley. The ladies’ trophy went to Miss Heppell, and the consolation prize to Miss H. A. Morris, Mountain Ash. The gentlemen’s prize was captured by Mr E. J. Hughes, the consolation prize being awarded to Mr Eynon Davies, B.Sc. Mr W. James acted as M.C. Mr Fred Davies provided the music and Mr Caunt catered. The secretarial work was performed by Messrs Trevor Jones and Ivor Bryant.
The following were present:—Miss Eliz. Davies, Miss Margery Jones, Miss Bosher, Miss Notton, Miss Ethel Roberts, Miss Roberts, Miss Enid Lea, Mrs. H. Powell, Miss S. Heppell, Miss J. Heppell, Miss M. Price, Miss A. Walker, Miss E. Howell, Miss Nancy Howell, Miss M. Jones, Miss J. Jones, Miss Powell, Miss Polto-Williams, Mrs. Caldicott, Miss R. M. Phillips, Miss B. Hughes, Miss M. Halewood, Mrs. A. J. Phillips, Miss L. Lanman, Miss B. Morgan, Mrs. Davies, Miss Davies, Miss A. Williams, Miss T. Williams, Miss Pennell, Miss M. Lewis, Miss B. Powell, Miss K. Powell, Miss S. Davies Jones, Miss Morris, Miss Brittain, Miss May George, Miss V. Rosser, Miss B. Williams, Miss M. Williams, Misses Lake; Messrs. Wat Jones, Tom Rees, E. J. Hughes, W. James, E. Davies, F. Davies, Mr. Davies, Percy Morgan, Trevor Jones, H. Powell, W. Morgan, Gwilym Parry, Stuart Powell, A. Caldicott, W. Heppell, S. Heppell, A. J. Phillips, T. Edmunds, Emrys Jones, W. C. Cox, P. Halewood, F. Goodwin, Morley Griffiths, C. S. Reed, Archie Williams, Ivor Bryant.


The President, Tom Edmunds, was a member of the first intake of the school in 1896. He lived at Dover House, Mountain Ash. The secretary Ivy Lea, and her sister Enid, were the daughters of Alfred Lea the Jeweller and Watchmaker of 18 Commercial Street. The other secretary, Trevor Jones, lived at the Cowbridge Arms, Market St, Aberdare.

E.J. Hughes was also in the first intake. His father Alderman David Hughes was a very well-known Aberdarian who was a marine engineer for most of his career. For a time he kept The Boot Hotel. He was also Chairman of Governors 1908–1913.

The Heppells were the sons and daughters of Mr. & Mrs. W.J. Heppell of Fforchneol Farm Cwmaman. W.J. Heppell was a colliery manager and influential figure in the south Wales coalfield. He also involved himself in civic duties in Aberdare, being for example the chairman, the last one, of the Aberdare School Board. Five of his seven children attended the school.

Peter Halewood was the son of Edward Halewood the well-known boot and shoe dealer and manufacturer of Canon Street.

Frederick William Caunt was the foremost caterer, confectioner, provision merchant and restaurateur in Aberdare at this time. There were premises at 24 Victoria Square and 1 Commercial Street (Café Mona).