badge

Aberdare Boys’ Grammar School

Past Student Association History

Old School

Past Students’ Degree Results, 1913

Aberdare Intermediate School.

PAST STUDENTS’ SUCCESSES.
The past students of the above school have done exceptionally well during the academic year that has just ended: the names of no less than thirteen old Aberdare pupils figure in the lists of those who gained degrees or diplomas at their respective universities, while several others did well in examinations leading up to the degree.
Among the particulars that have come to hand to date are the following— At the University of Wales the degree of B.A. was gained by Miss May George (honours in French and History), Miss Mary Howells (honours in History), Mr William Jones, Miss Irene Pratt (honours in French), Mr Brinley Reynolds (honours in French), and Miss Dorothy Rees (honours in French), while Miss May Lewis and Mr W. I. Curnow gained honours in English and 1st class honours in Political Economy respectively.
The B.Sc. degree of the same University was gained by Mr David Roderick and Mr Trevor Reynolds. The latter also gained his diploma in Engineering, and Mr Luther Bosher his diploma in Metallurgy.
At the University of Birmingham Mr Willie Oxenham gained the degree of Bachelor of Commerce with four distinctions, while Messrs Bertie Oxenham and Gordon Chapman passed the Intermediate Examination for the same degree with four and two distinctions respectively.
At the University of London Mr Goronwy Jones gained the coveted degree of M.D.   Mr D. J. Parsons also passed the Matriculation examination.
Mr Ezer Griffiths, B.Sc., Fellow of the University of Wales, has published a joint paper with Principal Griffiths, of University College, Cardiff, in the transactions of the Royal Society of London.
Miss May George, B.A., has been awarded a Training Scholarship of £40 by the Glamorgan County Council, in addition to gaining the award of a Bursary by the Council of the Training College for Women, Cambridge, to which she intends to proceed next session. She is the daughter of Mr and Mrs F.D.E. George, Seymour Street, Aberdare.
Notes
May George was Marjorie Mabel George. Her father was a well known undertaker in the town.
Mary Howells & Irene Pratt were both from Penrhiwceiber.
Brinley Reynolds later taught French at the school, 1913 to 1952, and became headmaster from 1952 until 1954, although he was acting headmaster for four years, 1946–1950 when headmaster Mr Gwilym Ambrose was seconded to Llandrindod Emergency Training College.
Dorothy Jessie Charlotte Rees, 1892–1980, taught French at Aberdare Girls’ County School from 1917 until December 1945. She was the daughter of a tinplate worker of 49 Dean Street. One of her sisters Florence Rose Rees later, as Florence Rose Davies, became the first chairman of the old Glamorgan County Council, as well as the Chairman of the school governors. Dorothy Rees married Johan Schaaf in 1952.
William Curnow lived at the Workmen’s Institute, Mountain Ash, where his father was caretaker and manager of the theatre.
Trevor Reynolds was the son of the mining engineer William Reynolds of Brynteg, Monk Street.
Willie and Bertie Oxenham were both sons of the W. Oxenham, plumbers and gas-fitters, of Maes-y-Dre.
Evan John Goronwy Jones was a son of Rev Rees Jenkin Jones (Hen Dŷ Cwrdd) of Broniestyn House. Goronwy attended the school for just two years, leaving at the age of 18 in 1899. He completed his secondary education at Kingsholme School, Weston-super-Mare.
Ezer Griffiths became the first pupil of the school to be awarded an F.R.S. You can read more about his career in the Former Pupils section of this website.

Edwin Griffith Miles

High Constable’s Son

OBTAINS HIS M.A. DEGREE.
Aberdare people will be interested to learn that Mr E. Griffith Miles, son of Mr R. H. Miles, High Constable of Miskin Higher, and Mrs Miles, has just taken the degree of M.A. We cull the following from “The British Weekly” for August 7: —
“Rev. E. G. Miles, B.A., who has been assistant to Rev. Alex. Connell, B.D., of Sefton Park Church, Liverpool, since December, 1911, and is at present in full charge in Mr Connell’s absence, has taken the M.A. degree in the School of Economics at Liverpool University. Mr Miles is one of the ministers admitted by last Synod from the Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church. He was formerly pastor of Spellow Lane congregation in Liverpool in connection with that body. He is an able and popular preacher, and has evidently “a future” as an English Presbyterian minister. For the past two years Mr Miles has been an Extension Lecturer in connection with the University of Liverpool. He had a brilliant scholastic career at Cardiff and Aberystwyth. He was also a non-collegiate student at Oxford (1905–06), and took two sessions at New College, Edinburgh (1906–08). It was stated at the Synod that Mr Miles had rendered most acceptable service in supplying the pulpits of churches in the Liverpool Presbytery. Mr Connell bore the strongest possible testimony to his faithfulness and usefulness in his work at Sefton Park, where he is to labour at least until the end of the year.”