Aberdare Boys’ Grammar School
Aberdare in the ’50s and ’60s
A Christmas Concert in Carmel Chapel, Monk Street
Here, in two parts, is a scan of the programme of a Christmas Concert that took place in 1958.
You will see that the school’s music master, Gethin Evans, took a leading role: he was presenter, choirmaster, organist and bass soloist. In addition, the names of Sheridan George and E. Morley Smith appear. Sheridan*, brother of Russell, also accompanied assemblies and choir practices at the piano in school in the late 1950s; Morley Smith was father of Roger who entered the school in 1956. Mr Smith was the postmaster of Foundry Town sub-post office, and music critic of The Aberdare Leader.
Carmel Chapel was next to the rear entrance of the GPO at the bottom of Monk Street. The vestry of Carmel was used by the GPO as an overflow sorting office. Many generations of schoolboys collected their delivery bags from this room when acting as temporary postmen at Christmas. This photograph is taken looking down Griffith St, with Monk St running in front of the chapel. Carmel (English Baptist) was almost directly opposite Calfaria Chapel (Welsh Baptist), also in Monk St; the wall on the left is the boundary wall of Calfaria.
from Colin Rees