Aberdare Boys Grammar School
Examples of application for
from School Records
The two application for admission forms below are both dated February
1910. For some unknown reason both are completed in the handwriting of the Headmaster,
W. Charlton Cox, although that for Harriet Martin would appear to be signed by her
father. Both pupils were admitted half way through the academic year 1909-10, but David
Ll. James left after just eight weeks at the school.
Harriet Martin’s previous school was the Higher Standard School; this is the school in the Gadlys, known later as The Gadlys Central School and is currently the Lower School of the Aberdare Girls Comprehensive. The original name of the school can still be seen on the central tower.