The Reverend Roger Ellis Humphreys, ba, bd
Minister of Religion
Roger Humphreys was born in 1947, the son of Edward Islwyn Humphreys and his wife, Nancy May Humphreys (née Ellis). He was raised in the Oxford and Gadlys Street area of the Gadlys, which was also where his mother’s family lived. Roger attended several chapels in his childhood: Carmel Trecynon; Bethel, Hirwaun; Gobaith, Cwmdare; and for a short time, Cana in Penywaun. He was baptised at Trinity Presbyterian Church of Wales.
He attended Ysgol Gynradd Gymraeg, Cwmdâr, then in its original home, before transferring to ABGS in September 1958. His brother, the late Rhodri Ellis Humphreys, also attended the school (1964-71). Whilst at school he made several contributions to The Aberdarian in the Welsh language, and sang tenor solos in the annual Carol Services.
He also represented the school on a one month’s exchange visit to Czechoslovakia, organised by the British-Czechoslovak Friendship League. The trip was led by Mr Wyndham Heycock, who was county Youth Service leader at that time
Having taken an interest in singing during his years at the school, both as a soloist and as a member of the school choir, and as a member of a quartet formed with two girls from the Girls’ Grammar School: Leslie Roberts (contralto), Pamela Field (soprano) and Peter Ballinger (baritone, ABGS 1959-66), he became a member of the Glamorgan Youth Choir. This led to joining Cantorion Pentwyn, a BBC Youth Choir led by Alun John. He received training for his tenor voice from Mrs Mabel Christopher (Madame Mabel Linwood-Christopher) of Mountain Ash and remained one of her pupils for some years until her illness and death.
Roger took his GCE O levels in 1963, and his A levels in 1966. During his first year in the 6th form, he was taught Greek by Mr Charles Morris - they studied in the cupboard next to the headmaster’s study in the clocktower! Rev. Ivor Parry - who had been a very well-known Independent minister at Siloa Chapel until he joined the school staff as a teacher of Scripture - continued the tuition of Greek with Roger, but specialising in Greek studies in the New Testament. This was during his third year in the 6th form (an additional year due to a course change from Latin to English).
In September 1966, Roger entered Saint David’s College, Lampeter, where he studied Theology in the Honours class (graduating B.A., 1969) and was for his time there a Pantyfedwen Scholar. Theological College followed at Aberystwyth where he graduated B.D. as a postgraduate in the University of Wales. Once again he was Pantyfedwen Scholar there for a time.
In 1971 he married Delyth Davies, the daughter of the late Rev. E.D. (Dewi) Davies and Mrs Eluned Mary Davies (née Walters) of Llangybi near Lampeter. Roger and Delyth had met in Lampeter whilst he was a student. Both of Roger’s in-laws had their roots in Aberdare - at Cwmaman and Llwydcoed respectively.
In 1972 he was ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church of Wales (PCW). His pastorates have been at Porthcawl and Pyle, the Caereinion Circuit in Montgomeryshire and now the Tregaron Circuit in Ceredigion. All this work has been through the medium of the Welsh language.
In addition to his pastorates, Roger has also held other positions in the PCW, including: Clerk to Presbytery (Montgomeryshire and Ceredigion); Moderator of Presbytery from time to time; Moderator of the South Wales Association of PCW (2009-2010); and various committee tasks over many years. All through his ministry he has been involved to varying degrees in the work of Christian Aid.
Roger lives near Tregaron, and expects that retirement will come at the end of December, 2012.
Roger and Delyth have raised four children, and at the present time they have three grandchildren.