badge

Aberdare Boys Grammar School

Former Pupils

school building

Emeritus Professor David E. Edmunds, ABGS 1942 – 1949

David Eric Edmunds was brought up in Hirwaun where he was raised as the son of a local schoolteacher. He excelled while at ABGS and left with a state scholarship entering U.C. Cardiff in 1949 and from which he gained a Ph.D. in 1955. He subsequently held various posts including:

Here are two external links, both will open in new Windows:


David’s father David James Edmunds taught at Hirwaun Boys’ School; he was there from the end of the First World War until 1952. Initially from Penderyn, he was educated at Hirwaun Elementary School, The Higher Standard School, Aberdare County School (1908-1912) and the Pupil Teachers’ Centre in Aberdare. He was then admitted to Dudley Training College where he qualified as a certificated teacher. Initially he taught in the Rhondda, but soon joined the army and saw active service in France during the years 1915-1918. During the Second World War, he served as Lieutenant (Quartermaster) of “B” Company Home Guard at Hirwaun.